Onion utthappam is one of my favourite i would say.i like dosa in any form.I have tasted onion uttappam in Saravana Bhavan, attempted to make similar one at home , it was success but after trying many trial and error.This onion forms nice crispy crust.I taste great with coconut chuntey and sambar excellent combination.The onions should be chopped very finely,adding idli podi makes it very tasty .I like big onions you can try with small onions too.
- Dosa Batter - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 , chopped finely
- Idli Podi - 1/2 tsp
- Greenchilly - 1 , chopped finely(optional)
- Curryleaves - 2 ,chopped finely(optional)
- Salt - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Heat a tava, add 2 full spoon of batter , dont make it thin.Make it a thick circle.
- Slowly spread onions all over the dosai,add the green chilly and curryleaves.
- Now spread the idli podi over the dosai.
- Now press the dosai top with the a clean spoon (spoon used to flip dosai.)Add oil in around the dosai.
- Flip the dosai when it is cooked.Now keep the flame in simmer.Add more oil around the corners.
- Cook it for 3-4 min ,till the onions turn golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutney and sambar .