Urad dhall is one most ingredient used almost in everything breakfast,lunch ,snack or dessert,such a versatile ingredient.Urad dhall is very good for health especially to women and kids.
I prepared this kheer when everyone is sick with cold .I prepared it after a long time ,it was so tasty the kids too liked it.
I have added more milk to make it more like kheer you can change the proportion to suit your taste.The pepper,jeera,dry giner is used very little ,it does not give any spiciness or kick to the kheer.Use jaggery/palm sugar 1 or 2 tbsp ,dont make it too sweet,everything should be very subtle ,nothing should be overpowering.Still you can add twist to this simple kheer.
- Urad dhall-100g
- Raw Rice-1/4 tsp
- Ghee-1 tsp
- Whole Pepper-1/4 tsp
- Jeera-1/4 tsp
- Cardamom-3 ,powdered
- Palm Sugar /Karupatti as needed
- Dry Ginger-3 pinch
- Chitharathai (Galangal Lesser)-small stick.
- Water -1 cup
- Powder the rice and keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker,dry roast the urad dhall for 2min,not golden ,just till the dhal gets heated.
- Roast the jeera and pepper and keep aside.(Take 2-3 pepper and crush them).
- Heat ghee in the same pan and roast the garlic till golden.
- Add the roasted urad dhall,powdered rice,pepper ,jeera ,crushed pepper powder and dry ginger powder,chitharathai.
- Add the milk and water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.The urad dhall should mash completely.
- (You can add millk/water according to the consistency you need after opening the pressure cooker)
- When the pressure is released ,add the palm sugar and allow it to boil ,when u see bubbles switch it off.
- Add the cardamom powder and switch it off.Remove theChitharathai.
- Serve hot or cold ,it is just delicious.
- Dont roast the urad dhall golden.
- You can change water and milk to your taste, i wanted it creamy ,so added more milk.
- Add palm sugar(Pangarkandu)/Jaggery very little dont make it too sweet ,it taste delicious being not too sweet.