This my family's favourite podi.Mix this with ghee or oil and serve with hot dosa.It taste delicious.I have added palm sugar because using sesame seeds give a different taste to suppress them palm sugar is very useful ,dont miss it.I usually grind it to coarse so i can feel the bits of dhall,if you want you can make it smooth.Usually it is done coarse ,not too coarse one step before smooth.
We usually make with black sesame seeds it taste divine when mixed with oil and spread on idli's.Perfect picnic food.I shall try to update the pic's with black sesame seeds.I have reduced the red chilly's as we prefer very moderate spice,do increase to suit your taste buds.You get nearly half kilogram using the below measurements.
- Black/White Sesame seeds-3/400g cup
- Urad dhall-50g,roast to golden.
- Toor dhall-50
- Channa dhall-50
- Red chillies- 75g
- Hing-1/4 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Curryleaves- 2 strings.
- PalmSugar(Karupatti)-1/4 tsp
- Heat a kadai.Add the sesame seeds ,when it splutters ,keep it in a separate plate.
- Dry roast each dhal separately and keep them in a plate to cool down.
- Roast the red chillies and keep it separately.
- Roast garlic then add salt,curryleaves and hing and remove from heat. let it cool down.
- Grind the red chillies and grind it to smooth.Now garlic ,salt and curryleaves and pulse twice.
- Then add the all the dhall to the ground redchilly powder and grind it again to not too coarse powder.
- Now add the sesame seeds and pulse them twice it is enough dont grind it as it leaves oil.
- Grate the palm sugar .Add the palm sugar and mix it well.
- Store in air tight container.
- Serve with hot idli ,add ghee or gingelly oil.both taste awesome.
- Palm sugar is must ,it gives extra flavor .
- Adjust red chillies to your choice ,i like medium spice.
- Take care when grinding sesame seeds ,it is enough if it gets just crushed,as too much grinding will spoil the taste.
- Dont roast the dhall too much .If you are doubling the recipe,i suggest you to roast the dhall in batches.