April 10, 2013

Tomato Pickle



My favourite home made pickle,whenever i have over ripen tomatoes or want a quick fix for chappati either a small batch or a big batch.I puree the tomato in the mixer and add all the powders and let it reduce.I have added ground fenugreek seeds powder in the end,you can either add or avoid it.Either way it tastes good.
I always add sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.It is not very sweet.Just spread it on the roti and serve.


 

Ingredients


  1. Tomato- 10 ,medium size,pureed
  2. Red Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
  3. Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
  4. Coriander Powder-1/2 tsp
  5. CurryLeaves- 5nos
  6. Sugar -1 tsp
  7. Salt as needed
  8. Oil- 3 tbsp
To Season
  1.  Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
To Grind
  1. Whole Fenugreek Seeds- 10nos
  2. Whole Jeera - 2 pinch
  3. Whole Pepper- 3nos
Roast the above in oil,and grind it into powder ,without adding water.



Method
  1. In a kadai,heat oil,add the mustard seeds ,when it splutters add curry leaves.
  2. Add the pureed tomato,salt ,turmeric ,chill,coriander powder and mix it well.
  3. Keep in a  medium flame and cook till all the water evaporates.
  4. When it comes to a gravy consistency,add a 1 tsp of sugar,to cut the acidity.
  5. When the oil begins to separate,add the ground powder and leave for 1 min and remove from heat.
  6. Serve as a dip for roti or dosa.
  7. When cools down keep it in airtight container and refrigerate it.

25 comments:

  1. Tomato pickle looks finger-licking good! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely! i was thinking to prepare it from ages .Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and finger licking tomato pickle. I always love this.
    Very beautiful clicks.. Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slurp lipsmacking pickle, can have some with a bowl of rice rite now,soo tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! And comfortably spicy too. Love this Meena :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i make it little similar but i dont use sugar..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been making complicating tomato pickles all these time and now I see one which I should have discovered earlier. What a burst of those flavored I will roll over for. Yum and heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy mouthwatering chutney...lovely red colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Tangu chutney or pickle. I love to spread it on bread:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Meena- what a super way of using up ripe tomatoes. I am sure this would taste good with any of our Indian snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a rich color :) looks super good Meena, finger-licking pickle :) Nice delectable clicks...!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! my favourite...Mouthwatering...nice clicks... spices

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow excellent recipe! Thanks for sharing with us, when I started reading from this perspective, a very interesting website picklemasti caught my eye. I visited website, I came to know they are offering a sample of Mango Pickle (100gms) at doorstep absolutely FREE!!!! Free Indian pickle offer is limited! Grab this opportunity

    ReplyDelete