This is the first time i prepared something with ginger.We were down with cold,usual rasam was boring.So i prepared this gravy.I havent used red chilly powder,instead i have substituted with pepper and 1 green chilly.I have used green chilly for aroma,so dont tend to add more,if u want to be more spicy,increase the whole pepper.Gingelly oil is very healthy , you can substitute sunflower oil too.
This is a very healthy gravy for cold and digestion too.I have used garlic too ,it should not be overpowering ,2 small pod will be fine.
- Tamarid-1 tbsp/small gooseberry size ,soaked and taken juice
- Tomato-1 ,small,fine paste
- Onion-1 ,small,chopped
- Garlic-2 pod,chopped
- Green chillies-1 ,split
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Whole Pepper-1 tsp
- Whole Jeera-1/2 tsp
- Ginger - 2 tbsp
- Coconut-1 tsp
- Gingelly Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-5nos
- Heat oil,in a pan,add the mustard seeds ,when it splutters ,add the green chilly,onion,garlic,curryleaves .
- When the onion turns golden add the tomato paste ,turmeric and coriander powder and stir it together.Leave it to cook for 1 min.
- Then add the tamarid juice or paste,salt and add 1 cup of water.(Incase using paste add sufficient water).
- Cook in medium flame for 10min till the raw smell goes.
- Then add the powdered pepper and jeera powder,ginger water,coconut paste and stir till it mixes well.
- Simmer completely and let it cook for another 5 min.
- Spicy and healthy ginger gravy is ready ,serve with hot rice and pappd.