Ajwain/omum has many medicinal values.I had a pack of ajwain in my store cubboard, i thought i will prepare some gravy with tamarid.We use only 1/4 tsp ,if you use more than this it will be very overpowering.All the flavours should be very mild,this is not a spicy dish.
Serve Kulambu with hot rice ,pappad and Avial.It taste delicious.
- Tomato-1,small,cut into cubes
- Ginger - 1/4 tsp,grated or ground
- Curry leaves- 2 string
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Hing-1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Tamarid paste- 1 small gooseberry size ,soak and extract the juice.
- Gingelly oil- 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
- Jaggery/Palm Sugar-1/4 tsp
- Ajwain- 1/ 4tsp
- Coriander seeds-2 tsp
- Pepper- 1/4 tsp
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Rice- 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly- 2
- Heat oil in a kadai,add the mustard seeds ,when it splutters and greeenchilly ,ginger paste and curryleaves and leave it for 2 sec.
- Add the tomato ,hing,turmeric and salt when it turns pulpy
- Add the strained tamarid juice and a cup of water.
- Allow it to boil for 10min in medium flame till the raw smell goes.
- Now add the ground powder and let it boil for 3min.
- Keep it in simmer for 5 min,so that the oil floats.
- Add the jaggery/palm sugar ,give it a stir and remove from heat.
- Serve with hot rice and pappad.
- It should be neither too spicy,do adjust according to your taste.
- Dont increase the ajwain ,it has quite strong odor ,the kids might not prefer them.
- Jaggery/Palm Sugar is a must as it will balance the taste.
- If you want it to be more spicy try adding pepper alone more.