Sambar needs no introduction ,its a staple food in every South Indian home.We usually prepare it every week,we are never tired/bored of eating it.There are variety of ways to make sambar,this is my version. Initially i used only few vegetables for making it,once you are good you can play with any vegetable.
Using fresh coconut enhances more flavour .Serve with hot rice,a dollop of ghee , appalam and pickle.Wow,irrestible combo , it can please anybody.The bitterness in bittergourd will be reduced a bit as we are frying and using tamarid.The sweetness from the drumstick also help reduce the bitterness ...
The best combination vegetables that prefer are
- Brinjal & Drumstick.
- Broad beans (Avarakkai)&Bitter Gourd- the sweetness from the broadbeans helps to reduce the bittterness of the bittergourd.
- Radish ensure it is roasted golden,then make sambar as below ,else radish doesn't gets cooked.
- Ladies Finger(Okra)-should be roasted and continue like below
- Toor dhall - 1 1/2 handful ,100g
- Drumstick - 2 ,washed and cut
- Bittergourd-1, washed and sliced
- Small onions - 3 - peeled (optional)
- Red chilli Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Tamarid-2 small gooseberry size,soaked and juice taken.
- Salt as needed
- Coconut grated - 2 tbsp
- Chopped corriander - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 5nos
- Red chillies - 2 , cut
- Curry Leaves - 5
- Small onions-3,sliced finely
- Let the juice of tamarind be 2cups,enough for the vegetables to be cooked.
- Add garlic,1/4tsp of turmeric pwd and to the toor dhall and pressure cook it for 4 whistles.Till the dhall becomes mushy.
- In another vessel heat the oil,add the bittergourd ,small onions,green chilly and drumstick,and give it a stir that the oil coats it well and cook it for 3min.take care that it does not get burnt.
- Add the tomato and cook for 2 second, we dont want to get mushy.
- Then add the tamarid juice,chilli powder and 1cup of water.
- Allow it to boil till the vegetable ,are cooked.when it is cooked after 10-15min depending upon the vegetable.
- Then add the mashed dhall and salt. Give a stir that dhall mixes well.
- Allow it to boil for 6 min .
- Add the chopped corriander leaves ,grated coconut simmer for 1 sec and switch it offf.
- Heat oil in kadai ,add mustard seeds ,let it crackle add methi seeds,small onions and curry leaves.
- Let the onions turn golden brown add it to the sambar.
- Close it with the lid,stir when serving.
- It goes very well with rice and the accompaniments shall be spicy potato curry , pappad and pickle.
- Add water to the mashed dhall or while preparing tamarid juice itself for your desired consistency of sambar.
- Let the tamarid dominate not the tomato so 1 tomato is more than enough.
- Balance the tangy and spicy to get the perfect sambar .
- If you tend to add later you dont get the perfect sambar taste.
- Take care not to burn vegetables ,it gives a smoky taste which u would'nt be happy.
- While seasoning ensure the onions are golden it ,all the tiny details make the sambar taste wonderful and flavourful.