I had bought beetroot and it had got lot of fresh leaves.So i wanted to make a simple stir fry .It tasted like sirukerrai.It was delicious.I wanted to know whether it is edible or not.Found it is very nutritious.Will be making it quite often .
Ensure that your are washing it 2-3 times as it might have lot of sand and then cut them.Chop them finely as it will cook soon.
Source - Ask.Com
Beetroot leaves are not poisonous. In fact they have vitamins A and C and iron making them very nutritious. They can be used in salads or steamed like spinach. However, they contain a small amount of oxalates which can impair the body's ability to absorb calcium and so they should not be taken in large quantities.
- Beetleaves- 2 cup
- Small onions - 4 ,chop finely
- Garlic-1 pod,chopped finely
- Green chilly- 1 ,chop finely.
- Hing- 3 pinch
- Coconut grated- 2 tsp
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
- Urad dhall- 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Heat oil in a kadai,add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhall.
- When it turns golden,add the onions ,garlic ,hing and green chill.Saute for 2min.
- Then add the chopped beet leaves and saute it well.
- Stir for every 3 min.If water is not there drizzle little water on top of it.
- Cook till the greens turn soft .add the salt and mix it well.
- Add the coconut scrapings and saute it and remove from flame.
- Serve with hot rice and dollop of ghee.